Saturday, August 20, 2005

New and Improved... Biobeer


So today was mainly getting ready to leave tomorrow. I had to stay the night in Brussels to make sure I can get up to the airport in time, but I decided to hope over to Leveun for dinner. I can't stress enough what a cool city it was. It's where the university is so it's got that great college-town vibe mixed with some of the oldest architecture around. Apparently some of the larger buildings were spared in the two W-Ws. Might be my favorite town in Belgium. Even if I did get lost on the way. I kinda missed my stop on the train and rode an extra 40 minutes in the wrong direction. The conductor types were very sweet to redirect me... in french. But it worked out all right. It seems to vary day-to-day depending on what I'm wearing what language folks decide to address me in. I was wearing french today :-)

Anyway, I sat on the square in front of the building to the right and had a Westmalle, a great trappist ale and chocolate crepes with ice cream. The ladies sitting next to me were laughing at how ridiculous my meal was, but it was good. Really good.

I decided I'd need some real food in me so I hit the street recommended by the guide given by the brewmaster at Ommegang breweries. Found this place called Greenway which may or may not be a chain but they had a great spinach burger and organic beer.

The night before I sat in a great pub in Brugges and eavesdropped on all the folks that blew through. There was a fantastic couple that I got to chatting with that had been married for 53 years. They were having such a great time together the whole place seemed to be glancing over with either a sort of personal hope for their own or a memory of others like them.

Leave for Senegal tomorrow! The idea still hasn't quite begun to turn on in my head. Reading a great Senegalese book right now that's turning out to be one of my all-time favorites. Check out Ambiguous Adventure if you don't have anything to read these days.

Love you all

No comments: