Thursday, August 31, 2006

¡tengo una lechugita!


¡I have a little lettuce! Well... kind of.

When we were last in touch, i was pretty anxious about how everything was going to go at this dance. High pressure to date this girl. cute as she is, i don't know much about her. We went, listened to quality andean pan flute music, danced some merengue, some salsa and a bit of reggaeton. I also talked a lot with my buddies from physical therapy, my great canadian buddy jessica and a bunch of german volunteers from the hospital. Notice anyone missing? So did I.

Lechugita didn't talk much more than you'd expect a head of lettuce to. It was bizzare, I asked her tons of open-ended questions and threw her tons of opportunities, but she just smiled or giggled at every chance to talk. "she's just shy" they said "she really likes you a lot!" Donkey snot. If you like someone and you're talking one on one and you don't bite at a single one of nearly hundreds of questions, that's pathological. Well, I thought that was a bit harsh and premature, so we decided to give it another shot. We went for drinks and crepes at La boca del lobo here in the mariscal, and had a bit of a better time. Definitely more conversation, it develops ice cream and french pastries are the key to an ecuadorian woman's heart... and mouth. Anyway, she's decided after that date (does that even count as a second date? me thinks no) that we're getting married. She sends me crazy as chuck text messages about our future and asking when I'm going to come back to ecuador...

I was beginning to get really worried about what I'd gotten myself into when, of a completely honest coincidence, I lost my cell phone. Sweet relief! I've never felt so good about losing a personal electronic device like this. Well, I'd feel terrible about what this might do to my leafy friend if i just dropped off the face of the earth, so I'm gonna find her number one way or another, but it's going to be tough. She and all her friends are on vacation now, and she's out of quito for the week.

So that's the deal with lechugita.

No comments: