Friday, March 14, 2008

highly ranked list of waiting

I often feel like I'm living my life all at once. Not sure if it's the source or result of being so laid back, but I slip into memories hourly and I rarely feel regret because often I get the sense that events are set. I joke sometimes that I'm living with the goal of being a very old man by the time I'm 40 - cane, highball of single malt, cigar, small change to pay off neighborhood kids to steal things from convenience stores - the whole time ranting about the good old days.

In my course on Confucian classics, one of the most memorable passages was when Confucius was going on about how much better things were in the past. You know, back in the 4th century BCE, before all the modernity of the 3rd century mucked everything up.

Still, I'm feeling better today about waiting for school.

I had my last interview at OHSU, and in each of the three interviews the interviewers asked where I see myself in 10 years. Oh, I don't know, 10 years older?

I called my top choice and talked with the Dean of Students and he was very encouraging. He says that they keep a pretty short wait list and usually pull several dozen into accepted status. So, depending on what I hear from the other schools, I think I may have to let two acceptances go before May 15th and then just wait until the mad rush this summer when spots open up across the country.

OHSU, it turns out, puts the majority of its interviewees on a "hold" list until it finishes interviewing. More of the Columbia style of being less rolling, interviewing everyone first and then offering seats in the class.

The waiting that I'm most excited about right now though is for a potential niece/nephew. It develops my brother and sister (in-law, we're not that southern) are going to try in august for a munchkin, and I'm tickled with the prospect of a new person coming.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm always conforted by the Bible reference from BC days of "there is nothing new under the sun"......

maybe things aren't going to hell in a handbasket as rumored - how could it be with munchkins sprouting everywhere? (Congrats to racher......!)

Thinking of you on your adventure in lands where they KNOW the olden days :)