Monday, November 14, 2005

waves


waves
Originally uploaded by Mikey Holmes.
I love walking on the beach. It's got to be among my favorite things to do in the world. Just below bodysurfing and just above making my own beer.

The feeling of the sand is great - the rough and abrasive salt in the back of the throat - the occasional sting from a broken shell that wasn't apparent and my favorite - flirting with the water as it comes in and out. For the most part, it's predictable how far and quickly the water will come in. But every now and then some turn of events from the moon or the rocks just on the edge of the continental shelf or maybe chance, a big wave comes along and splashes everything. Makes it dirty, wet and knocks out any thoughts in my head just as well as it covers up those broken sea shells that come back to sting later on.

Sometimes things happen that knock expectations for a heading or direction of events way off course.

Anyway, so I've been missing my iPod for a couple of days - and given that I'm a bit absent minded, I thought I'd give it a chance to turn up. But for the same amount of time (in hindsight) I've been getting mosquito bites for the first time since I've been here.

Then on Saturday morning, I noticed that the screen on my window outside my room (looking into the open-air, second-story hallway) had been ripped from the nails securing it to the frame. I didn't think much about it, but later on that afternoon, just before we left for our weekend excursion to the Siin Saluum delta, my older brother Boga brought it up.

He asked if I had done it, which I hadn't of course, and then asked if I was missing anything. I didn't mention anything at that point. He then showed how it could be possible to slide out the panes of glass in my window, and crawl through and take a pick of whatever was in my room. Crash - wave - everything looks dirty and wet.

Still, I thought about it and decided it might be best to wait a couple of days and give the iPod another chance to show up. So I asked how someone could have gotten in, and Boga said it was possible for someone to climb in from the salon, but more likely, it could have been my younger brother Makhow. So, now that I'm back from our trip, I'm gonna get to talk about this with my family.

The worst scenario will be my family feeling guilty and ashamed and deciding to replace the iPod, when that's gonna be much more money than they can easily cough up. What's more Makhow isn't the most honest guy in the world, so there's the chance I'll never know for sure.

The best case scenario is he's just listening to it in his room or he's sold it to one of his buddies and he can get it back in a couple of days. Or I still could have misplaced it... Not likely.

Anyway, would appreciate some warm vibes for the next couple of days. We leave tomorrow for our week-long rural visits, so I'm gonna have to discuss this theft stuff tonight.

Love you all. Jamm ak xeewel ~ peace and luck

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Mike,

Bad deal about your ipod. Especially going on rural visit. Been nice to escape with that thing. Plus, seriously disconcerting wondering if someone in your family swipped it.

Down: pair of sandals, ipod.
Up: ?

Lots of love. Missing you.

Michelle