Saturday, November 12, 2005

Avoiding more narcissistic pictures...


Goree Doorway
Originally uploaded by Mikey Holmes.
So I thought I'd put in a quick entry about how I'm doing since I've apparently dropped off the map for a lot of folks.

Small stuff: I've been playing a lot of guitar lately and my family has been really sweet to listen and say nice things about my songs from time to time. They compared me to Bob Dylan, a result I'm sure, of their vast experience with American folk music. On the other hand, they also told me I have too much time on my hands. Probably true...

Played the songs for a friend's host sister that asked me to write them, and her main comment was "hmm, that's not very african." no kidding, have you taken a look at me lately?

Finally got an internship. It's with a phenomenal group called AcDev - Action and Development, which does a whole host of activities centered around nutrition and lowering child mortality. So we have cooking classes to show how to make traditional foods more nutritious, lessons on what foods provide what vitamins, weigh munchkins, and give vitamin a suppliments and vaccinations to the munchkins too. It's exactly what I was looking for and I've already learned a lot in the three days I've worked there. Gonna try and volunteer with the GBGM also with a bit of the rest of the free time which I apparently have too much of.

Eating well now that Ramadan is over. Much happier with my mid-day bonbon.

Bigger stuff: not going to Ecuador next semester, gonna finish up school and work some. I spend a fair amount of time every day now day dreaming about what could happen next year. It ranges from making money next semester and going back to Ecuador on my own bill for the summer and fall, to joining up with a trappist monastary in belgium and learning how to make the world's best beer while studying for GRE/MCAT, to sending out a couple of ads and interviewing folks to try and make something out of the farm...

Who knows?

No comments: