Saturday, November 12, 2005

Why are you speaking wolof? Do you want to be Senegalese?


Give me money!
Originally uploaded by Mikey Holmes.
Hmmm... good question. Before I jump into another entry I should probably mention how busy I've been or some other easily forgivable excuse for why I haven't written lately. I guess I have been busy, but I've been really tired too. Lots of things have changed but most things have stayed the same. I guess that's how it usually goes huh?

So... why am i speaking wolof and do I want to be Senegalese? These were the questions these two munchkins asked beth and I when we were visiting Isle de Goree. It was a bit nutty of a time to come since it was Korite, or the festival for the end of Ramadan. Which, everyone makes a huge deal about but really it's mostly eating with their families and visiting friends to say baal ma, or excuse me. This is to ask for forgiveness for transgressions for the past year, even the ones that were too small or uncomfortable to discuss openly. It's really a fantastic day and reminds me a lot of Thanksgiving.

To prepare, I went out a bought a boubou with my brother and some of these funny pointy turkish slippers and borrowed me pop's gray fez. Pictures will come soon.

For the rest of the weekend we went to Goree like i said, and spoke with some of the Baay Fall that live there about Amadou Bamba. Will post the paper I wrote about the movement pretty soon - I keep talking about the Baay Fall and not describing them... Beth and I also visited a great beach, had some tea with Stephanie's friends and made some music on the patio on the roof as bats flew overhead.

Anyway, it was great to get to share what has been my home for the past three months with someone in person, since there's so much that can't really be communicated. Also, it was really comforting to visit with a bit of home, which Beth definitely is.

Jamm ak xeewel ~ peace and luck

No comments: